Thursday, 5 July 2012

Cationa and Bobby's wedding

The wedding was on the only dry sunny and warm weekend in May. We put up two marquees, a 3 metre square jobby and a 4 x 6 metre one. There were also two porta loos, hired, plus an emergency caravan loo, to place next to them, you would have to be really desperate to use that one though. I had managed to get hedges trimmed and lawns mown before the marquees were put up. Michael and Sophie arrived on the Thursday and were a great help, Michael was in the bar sorting it out in no time. We had to pry him out to go home on Tuesday with a crow bar, we managed to put a fridge in the bar  as well. It still needs work though, but there is the mirror and even a set of optics on the wall, that Liz bought some time ago in anticipation. The wedding was to be a standing only reception with hog roast, so we managed to get seating for everyone! The cake was a collusion between Liz and Christine (Bobby’s mother). Catriona bought a lovely cake stand to hold the four tiers that were made, the stand was made of reinforced iron and concrete ( I lie, it was stainless steel and quite strong), to hold the fruit cake. Catriona’s theme was pink, naturally, with butterflies. Bobby now finds he has a mad urge to step on any butterflies or moths he now sees, I can sympathise, we are still finding scattered butterflies around. The bridesmaids looked lovely in their green outfits, I won’t describe the colour because I am sure to get it wrong. I had a a relatively easy day, no cooking, although I would not have minded, still it was nice to have someone else do it. Catriona looked lovely in her wedding gown and we even managed to squeeze her into the passenger seat of the Mustang driven by a friend of theirs. I had to sit in the back and hold tight! We laid a bit of rubber on one section of the road, just to make sure that the car had the oomph, it did! The ceremony at the church went well and the little flower girl had a ball. The wind blew the confetti around the bride and groom when it was thrown, making it look like, dare I say it, butterflies around their heads. Little Bobby was a very happy looking soul, poor bugger! Bobby is only 6ft 7inches or is it 7ft 6, don’t know, but he can reach everything on the top shelf. Liz managed to get a lovely outfit at the last minute in Peterborough, I bought a new tie in honour of the occasion, spare no expense that’s me.
Bobby and Michael discuss 'bar' matters
We, Michael, Bobby, Matt and me, went round various shops and supermarkets buying booze on Friday, we were not going to run out! We had shed loads of lager and a few ales for the others, we did have a little left over, but not a lot, we had a bunch of piss cats to cater for, I don’t know who invited them. I have had to buy booze since the wedding, the rotten devils managed to drink most of it! We managed to get all seventy odd folks in the garden and all had a merry old time, the last lot left at 11pm. The cake was easy to cut, Liz did not use her concrete blend, but bought some ready made from the Co-op. The main dish was, of course, the hog roast that went down very well, there was even a bit left, not a lot, it was finished with a bit of sweet and sour sauce the next evening.
The cake in assembly mode, one more layer to go!
The bar was run by Michael, with help from Sue and Melly. They looked positively tropical in the garden and had a ball. Cat and Robyn’s friend Helen even supplied a bit of exotic hard tack, Captain Morgan spiced rum and Malibu, that went down well. The bar was really busy the whole afternoon and evening from 3pm until 11pm and beyond. There was no one disappearing into the house either, even Granny and Lindsay enjoyed it.


Catriona passes the loos

Tristan was there too
We were able to get the marquees down while it was still dry, instead of having to wait for a week, like the last time. Oh yes, no one used the emergency loo.

No comments: