Monday, 2 July 2012


Liz reads the guide
The machine an Elna
Had a busy weekend. The auction was on Saturday. We went via Holme, the back roads to Oundle, we were caught by trains for about eight minutes, luckily not like the iron ore trains in Saldanha. We had the usual fun trying to find somewhere to park the car. The auction had started when we got there, the rain stayed off, so that was a plus. There were a couple of fairly new sewing machines, Liz got quite excited.  I bought some lamps for the bedroom for very little, they are wooden so that Liz doesn’t break them when she knocks them of her bedside cabinet, the shades are made of rubber(should be), not really, they are a gold material with tassels, very nice. The sewing machines came up and I bought the first one a very nice looking Brother for a shade over £40, a bargain as they retail for over £200. There was a lot of nail biting when the next one came up and Liz had to look away when it got to £40, the auctioneer looked a bit numb too when I kept bidding, I had never spent this much at auctions there before, my previous record being only £8,when the mist etc had cleared and the dust settled I was sixty pounds odd in debt and Liz was over the moon, my washing, ironing etc is now assured for many years to come. The auctioneer nearly passed out when he knocked the machine down to me, I don’t know who was the most surprised, him or Liz. Louise had the Brother sewing machine and Liz kept the other machine, an Elna, to replace the one I bought her about thirty years ago! That’s it she will have to wait a few more years for another. After shopping we got home at four and were off out again for a braai with friends at five thirty. Sunday was quiet, Liz played with her new machine, I rewired and put plugs on the lamps, fixed a sticking door and cleaned fish tanks, watched England beat Australia, oh, and cooked some sweet and sour pork fillet with egg fried rice. Thank goodness the day was miserable and windy so we couldn’t sit outside!
 

No comments: